The Walk

 



How I decided that I would have a Gap year in 2023
One morning, I went on a short walk with my partner not realising that by the end of little our endeavour, I had completely transformed the idea of what 2023 would look like. Like anyone, the future is always a hot topic and my aspirations of teaching overseas was reignited. See if Covid didn't happen I would've been overseas in 2022 indefinitely teaching, volunteering or travelling the world. Now I believe that is was a blessing in disguise as I have been able to get experience working as a graduate teacher before I take a gap year. 

Why a Gap year and not a holiday?
I've been studying and at school for most of my life (ironically I will be at school for the rest of my life). There has never been a proper gap between my studies and work. I just don't feel that I have an identity outside of what I do for a living. The intention of my gap year is to not only travel but also immerse myself in different volunteering and work programs. As a teacher, I will not be able to simply drop my workload and go overseas for 4 weeks and return to work at my own schedule. 

Leaving my current job
I technically didn't leave my job. I'm on a 1 year contract which gave me the flexibility to decide what to do with my future as my workplace had not started organising staffing structure yet. The way that staffing works at a school is nothing like a traditional corporate job. Most jobs are 1 year contracts until it is turned into an ongoing (permanent) position at the discretion of the school. 

Travelling is expensive
I understand that I am privileged to embark on a travelling adventure in my mid twenties as I have not committed to buying a house, getting married and having kids just yet. It is a wonder what I can do with a few years worth of savings while still living with my parents. Nethertheless, we don't have to break the bank while we travel overseas. I will be earning some pocket money with an overseas program that I have been placed in. Luckily enough, the career that I have chosen is quite flexible where I can work as a Casual Relief Teacher (CRT) at my own schedule. To prevent myself from being overwhelmed next year I have planned gaps in my travelling where I will back in Melbourne to CRT and reabsorb Australian culture before I go on my next adventure. 

Anything is possible when you put your mind to it

Please leave a comment if you wanted to share your own quarterly life changes!


Comments